Barley is indicated for the proper functioning of the liver. It helps the digestion of fat-rich foods. Delicious in soups, or mixed with rice (2 rice: 1 barley).
- 1 cup of barley (soaked 5 hours)
- 1 strip of kombu seaweed (5 – 6 cm)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 slices of pumpkin, diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ leek or Chinese cabbage cut into very thin strips
- 1 bay leaf
- mint leaves to taste
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups of water
- Umeboshi vinegar to taste
- Wash the barley and put it in a pot with water and kombu.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 1 hour (30 min under pressure).
- Add the bay leaf, the vegetables except the leek and cover with water.
- Cook for about 25 min. Add leek and salt half-way through.
- Turn off the fire and add the mint.
- Rectify flavour with umeboshi vinegar if necessary.
- Let sit for the flavours to blend before serving.